Thursday, December 10, 2009

What kids shows or Cartoons are violent?

I am in the process of banning certain cartoons from our tv. My son is 6 and watched Boomerang and he got that hitting was alright from Tom and Jerry. ( He admitted this to me) So I have blocked the entire channel.



Outside of Power Rangers are there any other shows that I should know about. Anything that has to do with fighting or hurting. Don't get me wrong I watched them as a child and I never acted on them, but my son has a behavioral problem that he cannot control himself well.



Thanks for the help.



What kids shows or Cartoons are violent?opera music



well any cartoon on adult network on cartoon network.....usually late night to early morning it will show violent anime and cartoons



What kids shows or Cartoons are violent?opera sheet music opera theater



ummm i think all cartons are on the verge to being violent its hard to block your sons way of entertainment
I don't mean to be stupid here, but what cartoon isn't violent? The coyote gets stuff dropped on his head, Elmer Fudd blows himself up, Bugs Bunny cross-dresses (ok, not violent). Honestly, your probably going to have to block out all cartoons. someone get's hit/blown-up/etc. . . in every episode. Your best bet for cartoons may be veggie-tales and 321 penguins, baby einsteins. They are shown on Saturday mornings and they have tons of videos out. but as for cartoons on cable/satalite, your pretty much out of luck for finding anything that is not violent.
I have outlawed pointless cartoons in my house. If they are not educational or teaching some sort of morals and values to the kids then they are wasting time absorbing nonsense into their little sponge-like brains. One that I do not allow is Spongebob. He is discusting and a waste of time.
i dont let my daughter watch any "japanamation" shows either (in addition to all the ones you mentioned). Shows like Yu-gi-oh, card captors and stuff like that. the all have fighting in them and eventhough they may be fighting to protect someone/something its hard for kids to tell the difference. I dont have cable anymore but when I did, all I let her watch was Disney (not everything though cause some shows are too "mature" for her), Nick Jr and Noggin. Channels that have shows geared toward younger kids which are more friendly like Rolly Pollie Ollie and Lil Einsteins and stuff like that. Now that we dont have cable, I purchase DVD's of approved shows that way she still gets to see what she likes and i know exactly what she is watching. It also helps me moniter her TV time, when the movie is over...tv goes off, no more "but mom I LOVE this next show..and the one after and the one after...
Instead of figuring out what to ban, consider figuring out what to watch (there's a lot of junk out there, and you'll do better choosing one or two quality shows than just banning a couple). Spend a couple of days watching with your son. Decide what shows meet with your approval. Then turn on the tv only to that channel during that time. If the tv is in a public place in your house, you can keep monitoring that he is watching only appropriate things.



My kids watch only PBS. My 6-year-old still likes Curious George, and also shows like Zoom, Cyberchase, and (hmm, I forget the name of that PBS kids'-game-show hosted by a dog, is it Fetch?).
ALL of them almost. We have just recently let our 9 year old watch regular TV. However before that he has the entire collection of Veggie Tales. Awesome dvd's/vcr tapes. Since he's 6 then if you get the station called NOGGIN it's great. It's on cable tv. Here's a link to check it out



http://www.noggin.com/ he can also learn on the computer to if you allow that.



Link for veggie tales movies here:



http://bigidea.com/index.aspx



Final note: OUR son had/has the same issues as far as behavior and LITERALLY would act out each character on the tv is why we didn't allow him to watch them. (power rangers included). I can only tell you that it does get easier when they understand that it's TV and not the REAL world. One more thing: we actually bought Lassie, Andy Griffith, and Green Acres movies for him to watch because as kids we used to watch these. Great old movies with good clean fun. (a rare in this world now)



Kudos to you for caring!
I have 5 children and I have found that the Noggin channel is a good channel. It is alittle "babyish" but even my oldest (7) enjoys the cartoons. It has a lesson to be learned in many of the cartoons.
All of them are too violent as far as I am concerned. Sponge Bob is full of sexual inuendo, and there are just far better things to occupy a child's mind that all of that drivel.
You would have to sit down and view the cartoons yourself to make that decision. What you consider violent will be different than what the next person considers violent to be.
You just need to tell him that is not ok to hit people. Lay down the basics of right and wrong and it should work. (it did for me anyway)
Instead of banning everything simply explain the difference between TV and real life. At 6 he is old enough to know that hitting is wrong even if Tom %26amp; Jerry do it. Kids have to learn that even if you see or hear something that does not make it acceptable to you the parent, tell him what is and is not acceptable and anything after that the child is making the choice to act on it and 99% of the time knows it is wrong.



Just wanted to add I do have children they are 6 and 8 and they know they cannot do what TV charachters do. They do not watch violence, but banning even Tom %26amp; Jerry is going a bit far. You have to teach them what is acceptable not just prevent them from seeing it.
Every cartoon channel except sprout tv has some type of "bad" show on it. I recommend showing him a little at a time though. Maybe one show a week you dont aprove of. Watch it with him and discuss it with him as things happen.
south park is a very bad cartoon it had profanity,and alot of violence

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Ltd